Re: Lessons learned: vaccuum sources

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lessons learned: vaccuum sources
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:58:26 -0700
on 7/14/03 11:15 AM, Marc Siegel at smarc@abs.net wrote:

> Ive been
> told that I should advance the timing a bit to allow for modern gasoline
> formulation. Other than empirical testing, is there a good rule-of-thumb for
> timing settings vs octane rating?

No, too many other variables. Higher octane lets you get away with more
advance without pinging, but how much is a matter for empirical testing.

I don't know why you would particularly advance timing based on "modern"
fuel formulations -- I find that suggestion highly suspect. Many areas have
different formulations for winter and summer, or just depending on the
market price of ethanol, so I can't see how there could be a hard-and-fast
rule.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149