Re: painting wire wheels

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: painting wire wheels
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:34:17 -0700
Well, that should be an, er, interesting experiment... considering the
wheels are made up of several types of metal, and doubtless show surface
damage and discoloration in spots (since they are old enough that you're
considering repainting). A clear gloss coat would work, but I don't know
that you'd like the results. I suppose you'll get an idea when they return
from the sandblaster.

You seem to be determined to "reinvent the wheel" here... consider there is
probably a reason umpteen million British wire wheels were painted dull
aluminum. If you don't like that look, many earlier MGs had them painted
body color, or a strong accent color (like red or yellow), or black, or pale
gloss gray. But there is no paint substitute for plating.

I agree that powder coating would be the way to go.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149