Re: painting wire wheels

To: mvheim@studiolimage.com
Subject: Re: painting wire wheels
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:56:41 EDT
Max,
I believe in order to Powder Coat the wire wheel correctly you'll have to
first,  disassemble the entire wheel. This means removing the spokes from the
hub
and the rim. then mask the threads on each spoke, then with a set of wire
hooks the painter/prep person will degrease all of the separate parts and then
hang the spokes, rim & hub on a rack where it receives a special powder
solution
(hence the name "Powder Coat") which then gets baked to a smooth, hard
finish. After the parts have cooled sufficiently, they can be reassembled. The
reason that you mask and block off threaded areas and machined surfaces is to
speed
up your reassembly time...believe me that stuff is tough to rethread or clean
up after its been coated. Also be careful around the Degreaser solution. Its
Toxic!
Albert Escalante, owner-1978 MGB
Central Coast British Car Club (Ca.)
13th Annual All-British Day Car Show