RE: MGB Compression

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB Compression
From: "mghirsch" <mghirsch@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:50:19 -0500
The first thing to do is determine why #4 is low.  I assume you did the test
dry.  Squirt a tablespoon or two of oil in #4, crank it a few times with the
plugs out and take another reading,  If it comes up, it is bad rings, if not,
it's the valves.

You can burn oil without a cloud of blue smoke.

I think it is unlikely that the head gasket is causing the oil leak.  It's
more likely that the valve cover gasket is leaking.
You can get some flourescent dye to put in the oil and then use a blacklight
to see where it is leaking.  The nice part of that is that you don't have to
clean the engine to do th is.

Safety fast.

Maynard