Re: MGA - steering column felt bushes

To: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@MGAguru.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA - steering column felt bushes
From: "Rick deOlazarra" <cattail@redshift.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:19:28 -0700
> At 05:18 PM 7/22/03 -0700, Rick deOlazarra wrote:
> >  It's an MGA - .... play in the steering wheel from worn felt bushes.
> >.... If anyone's done this job and has figured a way to get those bushes
> >compressed around the steering shaft enough to clear the space between
the
> >shaft and the outer tube while re-introducing the shaft back into the
> >outer tube, I'd sure like to hear it.

>Barney Gaylord wrote:
>
> Waving hand here.  BTDT.  It's a vintage (well seasoned) problem.
>
> I last did mine in 1986, about 183,000 miles ago, but I'm about to do it
> again, new parts from Moss Motors already in hand.  I have the same
> observation now as 17 years ago, that the felt material is too thick for
> both bushings.  Some things never change.  Are you listening Kelvin?
>
> My solution was to tack one end of the felt strip down on the wooden
> workbench, then go at it very gently with a wire wheel in an electric
drill
> to remove some fluff from the surface of the felt to thin it out a bit.  I
> seem to recall taking a couple of light passes with trial and try again
> technique to sneak up on it a bit at a time to avoid going too thin.
>
> The whole process took maybe a half hour and resulted in a fit that was
> tight enough to be difficult to turn with the wrist but very easy to turn
> with the steering wheel.  Put the felt pieces in the tube first, then push
> the shaft through.  I oiled the felt just a little during assembly, then
> soaked the felt in oil after assembly.
>
> I think it went more than 100,000 miles in 12 years miles before noticing
> little play again.  I've been tollerating it for the past 5 years as it's
> getting a little looser, but it's time now for the fix again.  Maybe I'll
> get poictures this time around and post it on line.  You're not the first
> to inquire.
>
> Barney Gaylord
> 1958 MGA with an attitude
> http://MGAguru.com

 It's done!  Went back at it again & thought 'what the hell, might as well
try it w/out shaving off some of the thickness just to see what happens..'
and it worked.  Trouble is, it steers like an 18 wheeler w/out power
steering. (steering column's in a vice). When I get back from work tomorrow,
I'll see if it compresses any and turns easier. If not, I'll try your wire
wheel approach.
 One thing, though; the bottom bushing was just a bit too lengthy; it
overlapped once installed in the bottom end of the steering column. I
uncurled the original, laid it out flat, and found that the new one (from
Moss also) was about 1/8" too long. Laid the original over the new and
trimmed w/ razor blade. This time it fit perfectly.
 Thanks for your feedback. By the way, it took awhile, but I finally figured
out what BTDT means.  :)

-Rick