Re: list wisdom sought

To: jello@ida.net
Subject: Re: list wisdom sought
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:45:03 -0500
jello@ida.net wrote:

> I have an odd situation, and am looking suggestions as to what it is.
>
> In my '67 MGB (no emmissions) this morning, I noticed I was losing power.
> I had the foot to the floor my (self installed) vacuum gauge reading 1"
> manifold vacuum, and just barely keeping up to 75mph (the speed limit
> here) - usually I'm at 6" vac at 75 mph.  I looked down, and the temp
> gauge was at 2200F which may not be abnormal in the evening, but it is
> abnormal in the morning.  No abnormal oil pressure, or drain in
> voltage/amperage (self installed aux. gauges again).  So I kept driving,
> but slowed down to 70mph.  About 5 miles down the road I regained power,
> and my temp started dropping.  By the time I got to work I was at 2000F -
> a little warm for morning, but not unheard of here (even with a 1600F
> thermostat).
>
> My guess is I had a little gunk go through one carb, and I was running
> extremely lean for a short period of time, that it worked it's way loose,
> and then things worked fine.
>
> Anyone got any better ideas of what happened here??

Not better, just another possibility. Might have been due to a timing
change for some reason, maybe associated with vac advance mechanism.
Both over-retarded and over-advanced setting can result in overheating,
although over-advanced will usually result in piston damage too.

-Rock     http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
"JJ Cale Live" CD & Video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us