list wisdom sought

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: list wisdom sought
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:06:26 US/Mountain
I have an odd situation, and am looking suggestions as to what it is.

In my '67 MGB (no emmissions) this morning, I noticed I was losing power.
I had the foot to the floor my (self installed) vacuum gauge reading 1"
manifold vacuum, and just barely keeping up to 75mph (the speed limit
here) - usually I'm at 6" vac at 75 mph.  I looked down, and the temp
gauge was at 2200F which may not be abnormal in the evening, but it is
abnormal in the morning.  No abnormal oil pressure, or drain in
voltage/amperage (self installed aux. gauges again).  So I kept driving,
but slowed down to 70mph.  About 5 miles down the road I regained power,
and my temp started dropping.  By the time I got to work I was at 2000F -
a little warm for morning, but not unheard of here (even with a 1600F
thermostat).

My guess is I had a little gunk go through one carb, and I was running
extremely lean for a short period of time, that it worked it's way loose,
and then things worked fine.

Anyone got any better ideas of what happened here??

Thanks!
Phil Bates
'67 mgb
'58