Re: Sebring valance, Part 1

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sebring valance, Part 1
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:25:08 -0700
on 7/28/03 2:49 PM, Paul M. at rowman22001@yahoo.com wrote:

>> The valance looks great (good job), but
>> whenever I see that particular grill
>> on an MGB (I believe it's 71-72), I get
>> the urge to grind off the "badge bulge"
>> on the front of the bonnet. It's a
>> good-looking grill, don't get me
>> wrong, but how could they just ignore
>> that protrusion as if it didn't exist?
>
> Yeah, I agree.  What gives with that?  I mean, they
> never stuck a badge up there or anything... was it
> just there to integrate more smoothly into the
> original grille structure?

Well, if you look at the original "as God and Abingdon intended" 63-69
grill, you see that the badge fits neatly into this bump, the whole
arrangement subtly evoking the classic MG radiator shell. When they suddenly
got "groovy" in 1970, they apparently had no budget to change the bonnet
stamping. It seems this discrepancy did not go unnoticed, as in 73 they
changed the grill again, and went back to the center-top-mounted badge,
reintegrating the bonnet bulge.

> On a sorta related note, I am in the process of
> pulling off all the chrome around (and in) the grill
> area, and I was tempted to paint the center part of
> the grill silver.  Has anyone ever done this?  Any
> thoughts on how it might look?

If you painted it dull aluminum, or "argent silver", it might look OK. Or do
you mean just the very center, inside the chrome loop? I think that would be
a little odd. Looking at your photos, I was visualizing an aluminum
"eggcrate" grill, a la Ferrari, minus the chrome surround.

> And then on a totally UNRELATED note, I am wondering
> what the size of the bleed nipple screws are for both
> clutch and brake bleeding.  I need to pick up another
> wrench this evening...

I think the brakes are different front and rear. At least mine are. Part of
the problem is that nipples get banged up so often, they wind up getting
replaced by generic parts store ones, with potentially diferent-sized heads.
You had probably better check, or pick up a whole set of brake or flare nut
wrenches.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149