Re: Motor mount changin here I come.....

To: Harold Pulcher <pulcher@killercomputing.com>
Subject: Re: Motor mount changin here I come.....
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 07:23:50 -0500
Harold Pulcher wrote:

> I have doing some research on changing the motor mounts
> in my 80B and I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. What is the best way to raise the engine?  Put a hoist on it,
> or jack it up?

On Barney's Chicagoland club website, they jack it up from underneith
with a board so as not to dent the oilpan.

> 2. If it is a hoist where should I connect the chains?  I am
> betting "just any ol place" will probably not do.

I probably did it wrong when I did it. So I won't say. :-)

> 3. What other mounting points should I loosen/remove, so I do
> not damage anything else?  I am guessing the transmission
> cross-member as everything else looks like it will clear the
> couple of inches I think it needs to be raised.

Everything will clear. You might not need to do much to the tranny. You
don't need to go very high to replace the mounts.

> 4. The bolts that fit into the chassis are off center.  Does
> the bolt got above or below the center, or do they both
> just need to match?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

> I am going to head down the local harbor freight store to
> purchase a couple of inexpensive 9/16 wrenchs for bending
> to get around the steering shaft.

I think there is a picture again on the Chicagoland site, in the
ZS to SU conversion pages.

The steering shaft goes right through the mount on the late cars.
The bend must do it, because they didn't remove the shaft when they
changed the mounts.

Of course, I can't find the page right now.

> I am also formulating new words to use while dealing with
> the LH mount.  From what I have read, I will run out of the
> one that I current have rather quickly.
>
> Thanks,
> Harold
> 80B