Re: Suction Cup

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>,
Subject: Re: Suction Cup
From: "schooler" <schooler@member.afa.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:42:30 -0400
Frank, Kelvin, et al...

This is definitely one part made of unobtanium.  But I found a resonable
facsimile that I suspect would make it through 98% of the Concours type
inspections.  (I'm the original owner of the car and know what the old one
looked like.)  You're going to have to do a little scouting around, but I'm
sure you'll find the same thing I did.

Go to a hardware store - any kind - and check out the merchandise that is on
display at or near the checkout counters.  Lots of little stuff, right?
Things that catch your eye and you grab on impulse - that sort of thing is
commonly found there.  I spotted a clear plastic suction cup with a small
hook coming out of the center.  Designed to attach to a flat surface and
hold "whatever".  Upon inspection, discovere that the hook part came out and
left a nice, clear suction disk about 1.25 inches in diameter with a
boss-like protrusion in the center that had an indentation in it.  Worked
perfectly.  The rear-view mirror stem fit right into the indentation and it
looks as if it were made for the car.  Not only does it look right, it
functions properly too!

I'm sure a picture would provide much greater clarity and will take one this
weekend and send it to you two.  If anyone else would like to take a look at
this 1969 GT unique apparatus, let me know.  (Can't speak for the '68 model,
but I think this mirror arrangement was only found on the '69 - I've been
wrong before so don't quote me!)

Bill
P.S.  Kelvin, I hadn't heard the story of the "Sucker" label on the box.  If
it weren't you telling the story, I would class that as an LBC Urban
Legend...