Re: MGA in Havana

To: "Bill & Penny" <wcameyer@msn.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA in Havana
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:59:08 -0500
At 04:52 PM 8/17/03 -0700, Bill Meyer wrote:
>Sorry, but I've been off the list since I talked to Barney about
>arrangements for this.  What is the status, do we have an address for
>checks yet?

The "adopt a needy MGA" project is not dead, just slow.  Here's that latest
news on progress.  The means of final destination delivery has finally been
resolved, via hand carry relay between mutual friends.  Now there is only a
problem of communications.  I have had no e-mail response from Demis for
several weeks.  This is a necessary ingredient for the project, as final
delivery will require expedient communications to coordinate the final
pickup link on fairly short notice.  When I can get this resolved
(hopefully), we will be ready to proceed.

For anyone new to the list, or having missed or forgotten the background
thread since January, please review here: http://mgaguru.com/guest/demis

It appears that I have better parts discount and S&H fee arrangements than
Bill Meyer, so the current plan is for sending donations to me, parts or
monetary contributions welcome, and I will be coordinating collections and
delivery.  When ready to proceed, I will post my personal mailing address
(somewhere).

I currently have a fee-free personal PayPal account which does not accept
credit card payments.  If anyone actually has any interest in making a
monetary donation using a major credit card via PayPal I could change to or
open a Premier account.  That would incur fees of about 3% on all receipts
regardless of type, so I'm a bit reluctant to do that.  I think for this
limited not-for-profit humanitarian project it would be better to stick to
non-credit card transactions via either PayPay or personal snail mail.

I expect to soon be posting on my personal web site a wish list of desired
parts.  To participate, you would send e-mail to "make a pledge" of a part
(or money), and the item of interest will be tagged as "pledged" or
"received", and later as "shipped" and hopefully ultimately as
"delivered".  A thank you credit to the sender will be noted with each line
item, and you may approve of use of your real name or any other alias ID to
follow the transaction.

We do not expect to handle anything particular large or heavy, so forget
about a cylinder head or crankshaft.  Expect the shipping package to
accomodate a footprint about as large as an oil pan gasket, and probably no
more than 8 inches tall.

The initial wish list will likely contain a large variety or perrishable or
consumable parts like gaskets, seals, rubber boots, engine mounts.  Next
will likely be small hardware parts like bearings, bushings, electrical
brushes, spin-on oil filter and adapter (special request).  Generic parts
like nuts and bolts and heater hose will generally not be needed.  Think
more about MGA specific parts that may have no other comon source and would
be difficult to hand fabricate.  Check the pictures at the web address
noted above to see what might be needed.  Any suggestions for the wish list
are appreciated.

Give this a few more days for me to get the initial wish list posted, and
please do not send anything until the final communications link is
solidified and the go notice is posted.  Thanks to all the patient
enthusiasts who have been champing at the bit.

Best Regards,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com