modifying exhaust guide boss [2nd attempt]

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: modifying exhaust guide boss [2nd attempt]
From: Wetmgs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 15:35:44 EDT
    I asked this question over the weekend and got two replies, one
confirming and one refuting my asumption. So here is the question, I am
following Peter
Burgess's
"How To Power Tune MGB" and am not 100% clear on where to measure the heigth
of the guide boss from, the valve spring seat, or the rocker cover
gasket/rocker pedestal level. I have worked the boss's  down to the DIY level
[see pg 29
drawing]
and the boss is still near 5/8 in. from the port floor. This is not a smooth
transition
like the drawing shows, but a steep angle downward. The text says "measured
from the top". Also I now remember asking a machinist, where the block now
waits, the same question and he said "the top of the head refers to the top of
the
billet", I'm not sure "billet" was the exact word he used but that is the
impression I got . I do not want to waste a head if I grind too far. I really
dont want to waste the work I've put into it, I've got spare heads. 74B  18V
motor  12H2923 head. I'm also asking this for some one who replied they were
doing
the same work and had used the spring seat as a measuring point. One of us is
wrong!  Can you solve the riddle?
    Marc Derenzy
    74B [waiting to see the road again]