Su Mixture - Mystery Solved - sorta...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Su Mixture - Mystery Solved - sorta...
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:11:34 -0700 (PDT)
First of all, thanks to everyone helping me sort out
the rich running problem on my B, and especially those
who told me: "Don't mess with the carbs - check the
emissions control system and everything else first."

You guys were right.

First, I adjusted the tappets last night, just to be
sure I was working from a known good state of tune.
They were pretty close anyway, and the adjustment
didn't make any change to the way the car ran.

This morning, on the advice of Donald Toy, I pulled
the belt off the air pump and took the car for a
drive.  Oh, my GOD, what a difference.  First of all,
the rich condition and (resulting huge back-popples on
overrun) is completely gone.  Instantly.  Secondly,
the car must have been even richer than I thought,
because I swear I picked up at least 10bhp at the rear
wheels.  No distortion.  I pulled away from the stop
sign at the end of my street the same way I always do,
but this time I furiously spun the rear wheel all the
way through first gear.  The car just leaps forward on
the throttle, and the difference is night and day.

So instead of desmogging the car next month as
planned, I'm going to do it tonight.  I'm not sure
precisely what's wrong yet - gulp valve or whatever -
but at least I know how to fix it.

Man, I had NO IDEA what I was missing with this
engine.  It always ran smooth, but it was WAY down on
power over what it should have had...

I'm a happy man.  Thanks again to all.

Cheers,

=====