Re: airbox design

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: airbox design
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:48:25 -0700
on 8/20/03 6:31 AM, WSpohn4@aol.com at WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/20/03 5:16:47 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:
>

>> Maybe you could add louvers at the trailing edge of the bonnet, encouraging
>> airflow under the bonnet (since there is still plenty of inlet air through
>> the radiator)
>
> Max, the trailing edge of the bonnet is a high pressure area as long as the
> windshiled is in place, and the flow might actually be IN rather than out.

I didn't really mean the extreme rear edge, just in back of his air box
somewhere. Depending on where that is, your point is valid -- it may or may
not work. The center of the bonnet is usually a low pressure zone, due to
the Bernoulli effect (explaining the tendency of B bonnets to pop open
suddenly at speed).

> I think that the V-8 conversions look a lot better without odd holes in the
> bonnets. You can supply cold air by ducting from the front of the car.

That's certainly true, although in this case he already has at least one
<g>. I had another idea... he says he was using a 14" base plate. That's a
pretty big air cleaner. MY 4.5L V8 (not in an MG) uses an 11" air cleaner.
If he just reduced the diameter of his air box arrangement, it would allow
more ambient air flow around the carb area.

I kind of doubt he can squeeze any more cold air ducting in there than he
already has -- the problem seems to be restricted space.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149