Re: Instrument Voltage Regulator +ve Ground

To: engl <engl@cableregina.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Instrument Voltage Regulator +ve Ground
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:55:48 -0500
engl wrote:

> I have a question regarding the instrument voltage regulator.  I think the
> one in our B is shot (it reads 12v give or take and I think it should be
> 10v).  I think this may have been what has fried the fuel tank sender.
> Looking through the catalogues I have, I see no listing for a +ve ground
> instrument voltage regulator.  Are they the same as the -ve ground ones?  If
> not can you still get the +ve ground ones?

Every one of these I have ever worked with was the intermittent 12v
type, in that it gets its equivalent-to 10.5v by switching the 12v on
and off. That, coupled with the two gauges' being purposely designed as
very slow to react to changes, gives the reading on the fuel gauge and
water temp gauge. I have seen both fuel and temp gauges with a
cream-white film on the inside of the gauge glass. So far, every time,
the regulator (Lucas calls it a stabilizer) was shorted out, giving a
full 12v to the instrument. Since the unit is nothing but a slow
oscillator, using a bimetal strip and heater and points, my guess is
that polarity will have little to do with it and it should work in the
old positive ground system with no modification or rewiring.

I personally use an adjustable one I bought off eBay that produces a
real non-pulsed 10.5 volts DC.

-Rock     http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
"JJ Cale Live" CD & Video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm