tackling a whistler

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: tackling a whistler
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:20:47 -0400 (EDT)
Hi all,

        Need some clues re a ?problem? with brakes.
The car:  a 76B with the vacuum assist servo unit.
The problem: turn the key...a whistle occurs  when I step on the brake for
about the first 8-10 minutes, maybe 15.  The brake does not feel different
and the car stops like it  normally does (without the whistle).
        The whistling begins before the brakes engage. I can hear the
whistle occur when I step on the brake without moving and over the other
assorted noises while moving for that first
period of time.
        After that time, the whistle does not occur either when not moving
or moving.

        My suspicion: my B might be whistling at my enlarging butt since
the car has a mind of its own but I really think the whistling is
filling up a hole in some vacuum somewhere.  I worry about what might be
happening to the brake system only because  I tend to use the brakes to
avoid other objects in the road and sometimes, to stop before  I hit the
garage door.

        Any clues?

 Bill Saidel
'76B with HIF's