Re: MGB 8 Track player... freebie

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB 8 Track player... freebie
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:49:23 -0700 (PDT)
Tab Julius SEZ -
> Hmmm.  The technology wasn't huge, but the tapes were, and 1/8th of an inch
> clearance (as has been reported) seems pretty tight.
>
> Still... an 8-track in an MGB seems kind of sacreligious.  It's not like
> it's a pickup truck with empty Budweiser beer cans in the bed and a bumper
> sticker that says "Gun control means using both hands" on the tail! :)

Well, up until the very late 70s, 8-tracks had a definite audio
advantage over cassettes (which I first saw in a car in Germany
in 1976).  It wasn't until the advent of chrome tape and Dolby
that cassettes were able to overcome the 8-track's 3-3/4 ips
tape speed.  And commercially made cassette tapes usually had
absolutely wretched sound from being duplicated on high-speed
bin systems.

I guess as someone who came of age in the 8-track era, I don't
have any negative associations with them.  They sure sounded
better than the monaural FM converter a friend had in his Mustang,
which fed the signal back through the AM tuner a la home VCRs!

--
David Breneman                     | "Far and away the best prize that
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst    |  life offers is the chance to