Re:Buying a car on eBay

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Buying a car on eBay
From: "Bill Collier" <wmcollier@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 08:55:11 -0700
If you are thinking of buying a car on eBay - think long and hard.

I had found a "B" last week that had a restored interior, runs good and
several pictures of the car.
The current price on eBay would be far less than the cost to bring my new
project up to the level of this car.
The car was within a comfortable driving distant of home so I was planning to
drive over make a cash offer and get this little gem back to my place.

SOO glad I drove over rather than buying it online!

The seller did not lie. (Although there were a bunch of details not
mentioned)
The car had a new paint job. (looked great in the pictures) Up close and
personal, it had the appearance of colored 40 grit sandpaper. Bad paint can be
sanded but there was daylight visible through the metal in a few areas. The
gentleman had done some rust repair to the body and replaced the floors. (He
did not say that he had removed ALL the rust)

When its all said and done the car was worth what it sold for if the buyer
wanted a project driver.
If I had flown half way across the county to pickup the "Gem" I had purchased
on line, I would be a very unhappy camper.

If the car you are considering on eBay is out of your driving range - try to
find someone close enough to take a close look.
A picture may be worth a thousand words but occasionally they do lie.