Re: head retorquing question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: head retorquing question
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:45:38 EDT
In a message dated 05/09/2003 8:26:31 AM Pacific Standard Time,
paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk writes:

> Fully unbolt?  Or just unlock it?  I have always just unlocked it i.e.
> keeping most of the original tension on.  I would have thought that fully
> loosening would tend to *cause* warping.

No, you just back them off enough to break any corrosion bonding and to
ensure that the 'pull up' to the proper clamping torque is a 'sliding' reading.

Probably a quarter trun is enough to do this.

One thing people sometimes forget is that CI heads need retorquing once they
are hot, while alloy heads are better if run up to operating temp and then
fully cooled before retorquing.

And the (typical American) 'bigger is better' often enters into it - "want to
make damned sure that son of a gun doesn't move". The early original head
studs often snapped when given an extra tug or two....

Bill