RE: Off toppic, extended warranty ?s

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Off toppic, extended warranty ?s
From: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 21:59:30 -0400
A few questions need to be answered...

How long will you keep this car?
How many miles will you drive?
How long does the mfg original warranty run?
How much 'extra' warranty do you get?
Who is backing the extended warranty, mfg or other insurance company?
What kind of car is it?  What is its' repair history?
Is it new, or slightly used?  Miles?
How much is the warranty and what is the coverage, both term and components?
Deductible?
Where will the extended warr be accepted?

Been in the retail car biz for 20yrs...I'd never buy one unless it was
backed by the mfg.  Most aftermarket insurance cos are in the biz of selling
warranties, not fixing cars.  Lots of loopholes can make a 'covered' repair
costly to the owner.  I currently have an Audi that willbe under warranty
for the next 5.5 years or 100k miles, mfg orig warranty, plus the mfg
certified warranty.  The actual cost of the warranty was included in the
price of the car and the actual cost to the dealer was @ 1300.  When it is
included with teh price of the car, iow, not sold as an aftermarket profit
center, you generally pay less fot the warranty part of the deal.  The best
deal for a car is a current, or one yr old used car with around 10k miles
and certified used by the mfg.
Of my other two '98 Audis, they both were the certified pre-owned and
everything has been covered, even a timing belt (most maint schedules call
for one at @ 60-70k miles).  Even seeping gaskets were covered.  One car
will be my track car and has too many mods for any more warranty, the other
one will go back (leased) soon.
And yes, I work at an Audi dealer.

Safety Fast!
Gordie Bird
62 MGA
03 Audi A6 Avant
98 Audi A4 1.8t
98 Audi A4 2.8 Avant
86 Audi 4000 CS Quattro (for sale - great winter beater)