Re: SU air filter: K&Ns and stub stacks

To: eric@erickson.on.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU air filter: K&Ns and stub stacks
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:00:46 EDT
In a message dated 9/11/03 9:42:23 AM, eric@erickson.on.net writes:

<< I have stubs under a PiperCross filter but the immediate problem I found
was that they were sucking in lots of really hot, under-bonnet air.  At
least the original filter on my '68 had a pipe pointing to the front of
the car (and a little hole in the radiator surround).  I could actually
feel the performance drop off as the car heated up. >>

Eric,

I agree that stagnant hot air under the bonnet is a problem with the B,
noting that the sprightly performance seen shortly after startup always seemed
fade on a hot day.  However, I have to point out that on the US-issue MGB
68-on, while the pipe on the front SU filter points toward the airflow, the
rear
pipe points to the rear of the engine compartment.
Like you, I added a 4" pipe directing air flow into the compartment,
attaching the front to the rear of the grille and S-turning it to match up with
the
air hole on the right side of the radiator surround, as viewed from the front.
I didn't want to cut into the surround at first, so I just butted the hose up
against the smaller hole and help it in position with a plastic tie on the
radiator support directly above it.  Probably not a good racing solution, but
it
has worked on the street.  I probably will cut a larger hole, but this
arrangement already provides benefits.
Another street aspect--I used the kind of flexible metal ducting sold in
hardware stores to vent clothing dryers.  Much cheaper than official automotive
ducting.

Jay Donoghue
72 B-Gt
66 Mustang