Re: SU air filter: K&Ns and stub stacks

To: haleme@bellsouth.net ("Matthew E. Hale"), mgs@autox.team.net ("Mg
Subject: Re: SU air filter: K&Ns and stub stacks
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:57:14 -0400
I'm at work now and can't check on that dent question, but let me gas on about
the last two.Last year Grassroots Motorsports did a series of dyno tests of
bolt-on MGB engine mods.  One of the huge shocks from their point of view was
the difference--around 4%--made by bolting on stub stacks to the mouth of the
SUs, and letting them reside under K&Ns, which also provided a power gain of
around 4%.  Unlike standard bell-mouthed velocity stacks, the stub stacks are
about 1/2 in. high with a rounded opening edge that, as dealer ATF products (I
think that's their name--information also at home) says,  provides "a nice
radius" for the SU carb opening.  In short, I guess it just fools the air flow
into thinking the carb is bigger, and the flow is increased.  Cast versions of
the stacks are around $19 each, and that's what Grassroots tested.  When I
ordered mine, the cast versions were out of stock, so I got the billet versions
for around $30 each.  I also got K&Ns at the same time, going for the open
element design that eliminates the metal pots.
I am here to tell you that the combination of K&Ns and stub stacks makes a
SIGNIFICANT difference in performance throughout the power range, from lowest
RPMs up to readline, and yes, it seems to allow the ancient B engine to keep
accelerating at higher revs where previously it seemed to run out of gas.  The
bill--around $200 and 15 minutes install time.
So here's my ultimate cheapie, no-risk, quick-install performance boost
recommendation: A Petronix ignition, K&N filters and stub stacks.  Buy, bolt
and burn.
Jay Donoghue72 B-GT66 Mustang (also with Petronix and K&N)