Engine kits, rebuilding and Moss Supercharger

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine kits, rebuilding and Moss Supercharger
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@teradata-ncr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:54:02 -0400
>>>I plan to use the Moss supercharger, and would be interested in any
>>>implications of that, like which cam etc. Specifically can I install a
>>>non stock "hotter" cam and still use the supercharger?

I have had a Supercharger on my MGB now for 3 years - so I may be able
to help. All the tricks used in a normally aspirated engine regarding cam
choices, do not in general work on a SC or Turbo engine. Lots of overlap
is NOT good as all the pressurized air goes in the inlet valve and straight
out
the exhaust valve. Go to Hi_flow's website and look at the specs on their
cams.
They have specific grinds for the SC setup.

>>>I think the stock compression on a B is 9.0:1?
This may be a tad high for a SC engine. I built my engine for a CR of 8:1
knowing
that I would be running approx 7lbs of boost. 9:1 MAY be okay if you don't
get
too silly with the boost and advance the ign. too much. Also you'll have to
stick
to high octane fuel and watch those warm summer days.

>>Any way to detune the supercharger -- less boost -- if I have a higher
>>compression ratio? Different pulley maybe?

Yes - get different pulleys BUT by lowering the boost, you are effectively
moving the torque band UP. On a 7lb pulley, boost starts at approx 2100 rpm,
on a 6lb pulley boost starts at 2300rpm.

gerry