V8 identification

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: V8 identification
From: Antony Gelberg <antony@antgel.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:05:35 +0100
Hi all,

I'm looking for a MGB GT V8, somewhere between concours and rust-bucket.
I'm not an expert on these cars (yet!), and was wondering if there was
anything I should look for over and above:
o Rust - the usual, sills, arches etc
o Decent oil pressure (do these cars have a gauge?)
o Leakage (lack of)

I'm not sure which "extras" are actually good, how do people feel about
the value of Webasto sunroofs, Motolita steering wheels, and Minilite
alloys?  I hear these words bandied around a lot, but I'd like to know
if they are any good.

Also, is there any organisation that can confirm the origin of the car,
given the VIN?  Let's face it, with my lack of expertise, I wouldn't
know the real thing from a conversion.  :-O

Thanks in advance,