RE: Engine Swapp pt.3

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Engine Swapp pt.3
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:58:53 -0700 (PDT)
--- Thomas Pokrefke <pokrefke1@comcast.net> wrote:
> >all i was askin is something more with "B***s"...

In my experience, engine swaps are a HUGE PITA, unless
you are swapping an engine for a different engine that
the factory used.  So, for example, removing a 1976
Porsche 911 2.7L engine and dropping in a 1987 Carrera
3.2L is one thing, but pulling out a Midget motor and
dropping in a Ford V6 is going to be a huge pain in
the butt for all but the most paitent and skilled
fabricators.  Even the popular MGB V8 conversion takes
considerable time and effort and money to do well.

If you have a Midget, then I assume you didn't buy it
to win drag races with.  If you did, you're in
trouble.  (Either that or you're in for a LOT of
work...)  But if you're looking for reasonable punch
out of your Midget, you'll likely find it far more
rewarding and economical to just build a
high-performance Midget engine and see where that
takes you.  The Midget/Sprite (1275cc) or
Midget/Spitfire (1500 cc) is so widely raced in a
variety of classes that there are literally tons of
speed parts available for it, so you can take it
almost as far you want to.

For example:  PAECO offers a "SRE" engine (super
reliability) version of the 1500 that makes an
advertised 103 BHP and would be fine for street use.
The cost is $5100 fully assembled.  There is a 1674 cc
stroker kit that would make even more power for $1200
extra.  Not cheap, but likely far less than you would
ultimately spend trying to fit some different engine
into your Midget.

Just my $0.02!  Good luck and have fun with it!

=====
Paul Misencik
1971 MGB Vintage Race Project
Huntersville, NC  USA