Re: more on mileage

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: more on mileage
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:38:57 -0700 (PDT)
> "The ones still running are the ones that
> don't break down."  An example of
> Darwinian survival of
> the fittest maybe...or maybe it is just the TLC and
> the constant concern
> for smooth running that matters.

I've often wondered this myself.  Both MGBs I've owned
- this 1971 and a 1963 3-main car I owned in High
School - were remarkably rugged and reliable.  Sure,
they have their foibles - I hit a bump and one of the
headlights goes out perhaps, or a carb float starts
sticking and it runs rough for a bit - but I've really
never had a problem with being stranded.  Never.  As a
result, I drive my B every day of the week.  Every
single day.  And I'd get in it tomorrow and drive to
San Fransisco without worrying too much about it.
That might be crazy, but it's true.  And I bet you
dollars to doughnuts I'd make it without any major
nightmares.

ROAD TRIP!!!!

As for fuel economy, I'm pulling down a consistent 22
mpg in pretty mixed use around here.  Not too much
highway driving, but not too much rush hour either.
Mostly semi-spirited backroad driving on winding
twisties.  I think that's amazing, especially in light
of the fact that many modern economy cars don't do
THAT much better...

=====
Paul Misencik
1971 MGB Vintage Race Project