Re: A heresy from the darkside

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A heresy from the darkside
From: Chris Thompson <ct-mg@cthompson.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:42:10 -0500
Larry Colen (lrcar@red4est.com) wrote:
> competent suspension and brakes.  First gen (1600cc) Miatas can be
> bought used, in decent shape for under $3000 so they've come down to
> price parity with MGBs.

One quick note to anyone who reads Larry's missives and thinks "Gee, Great
Idea! $3000!" He's right, but with one nasty caveat.

The 1990 and early 1991 miatas had a serious design flaw in the crankshaft
nose/timing pulley assembly which caused catastrophic crankshaft breakage
deep inside the engine. From what I've read, that's about as much fun as it
sounds.

Read about the fun at http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html Luckily,
the fix is fairly simple for anyone reasonably skilled with a wrench.

And you thought Lucas electrics were fun.

Chris Thompson
1974 MGB Chrome Bumper Roadster