instrumentation death

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: instrumentation death
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 08:50:54 -0600
Well I almost when a full month without driving my LBCs. I fractured my
right ankle on a mountain hike on Sept 1 (Labor Day) and could not drive
for a week and then after that, I could only manage driving an automatic so
I could use my left foot to brake. Finally Tuesday, I managed to take the
BGT out for a drive, against its will I might add. Battery was nearly dead
after sitting for a few months but I finally got it going with a jump.

Today, it was time for the B. With a high today of the low 70s, I plan on
lowering the top. Unlike the BGT, it started and ran near flawlessly in the
mid 30 degree weather. But just two blocks from my destination, work, I was
stopped at a red light when my tach stopped working. The car was still
running fine. And right after that, the fuel gauge and temperature gauge
also dropped to zero.  Well, that looks like the voltage stabilizer or its
power supply but I can't tell until I get home. I did have some initial
problems with the voltage stabilizer a few months ago where it wasn't
grounding so the fuel and temp gauges ran high.

So does this indicate death of my stabilizer from any of those of you who
may have seen this problem? Connections are good but I haven't looked at
fuses, didn't notice any other power losses. I can test better when I get
home but I wanted to enjoy some top down driving first plus I have to run
to NAPA to get a 1300 filter for my BGT. I just may have to drive without
instrumentation.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B