Re: Leaking

To: "Steve Piepenbrink" <mgbyellow@netzero.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leaking
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:58:10 +0100
Dirty oil from the front?  That means dirty oil in the engine then :o(

Putting the gearbox in 4th should allow you to apply enough torque with a
breaker bar to release the crankshaft pulley nut.  But it could be from the
front cover gasket or sump gasket so you need to clean things off and check
carefully before diving in (not to the oil puddle ...).  Oil from the
gearbox can either come from the input shaft seal or the output shaft seal
(or a poor seal from the drain or filler plugs, or a cracked casing), but
these are a couple of feet apart so should be easy to identify.  The rear
seal can be changed in-situ, the front seal is an engine out jobbie.

PaulH.