dual spark (was Re: Factory Distributor Swap)

To: "Telewest (PH)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: dual spark (was Re: Factory Distributor Swap)
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:04:15 -0500
I believe my car is still a Opus, with a pertronix installed.

This brings me to a question I've been pondering.

In the April 2001 Grassroot's Motor Sports, the first article on the
B on the dyno. They put an MSD 6a capacitive discharge system on the
car. It appears to give a second spark to the compression (afterwards)
to promote more burning and power (so it probably cleans up emissions as
well).

These things retail for about $150, and I watched them on ebay for a
week or maybe a bit less, and it seems $100 will get you one *hardly
used*. :-)

Now, Moss has some new pertronix thing in the catalog, that does this
same sort of thing, but also adds the ability to set a rev limiter.

Are these boxes doing the same thing? The pertronix is somewhere in the
$350 range. Could a revlimiter cost that much more?

I'm kind of interested in this down the road. My oldest son is only 9,
but 7 years, and he's going to be wanting the keys! :-)

Oh, a summary of the article. '73 B with SUs.
stock lucas, 13 degrees at 1500         56.8 hp
add ignitor                             61.1
add MSD 6A to ignitor                   62.7
add performance wires                   62.7
25 deg total advance                    63.5
30 deg                                  64.3
35 deg                                  63.2

all of those were with the MSD.

You get a couple more with K&N filters

--
    ______