Re: Fitting 205s

To: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fitting 205s
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:11:34 -0600
At 11:59 AM 10/27/03 -0800, Larry Colen wrote:
>Last weekend I scored on a set of 0 offset 15x7 racing panasports
>(minilite replicas). If I can get 205-50-15 tires to fit under the
>fenderwells, then I can use the same race tires on both my MG and my Miata.

Sorry, but no go.  Hope you didn't spend too much on those wheels.

>What does it take to get 205s to fit on an MGB GT without rubbing?

I think the alternatives are either flared fenders or 1-3/4" negative
offset wheels.

>I've already rolled the fenderlips under. I'd rather not flare the
>fenders, or if I do, flare them minimally.

This is way beyond "minimally".

>If I install a "lotus link" on the rear end, will that be enough?

Nope.

Wheels with zero offset will not work on a stock MGB, not even if these
wheels were only 4" wide and you run 155 tires.  The MGB wheels are about
1-1/2" negative offset +/- about 1/4".  Zero offset wheels will put the
tires directly under the fender where they will rub badly (unless you jack
the rear end of the car up about three inches).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attiture
http://MGAguru.com