Re: Just what does a sport coil do?

To: "Tim Holt" <holtt@nacse.org>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Just what does a sport coil do?
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:55:39 -0000
They are suitable for use anytime, the 'sport' can be taken to mean much the
same
as 'go faster' stripes down the side of the car.  The sport coil does give
potentially (ho ho) higher HT voltages but only if the plug gaps are opened
up from the original 25 to 35 thou.  Increasing the HT voltage can make the
difference between starting and not starting under adverse conditions, a
standard trick in the 60s on a cold damp day when my Mini wouldn't start was
to pull the coil lead out of the coil slightly during cranking.  The
standard gap increased to 35 with the standard coil shortly after rubber
bumper came in.  The downside is that opening up the plug gaps to increase
HT voltage can cause other components in the HT circuit to break down, even
more likely if you go over 35 thou.  The other down side of the sport coil
is that the Lucas ones I have seen have a lower LT winding resistance which
increases the current through the points and so probably accelerates their
wear.
Even if you don't open up the gaps a sport coil should result in more spark
energy if not HT voltage, but whether this has any measurable beneficial
effect I don't know.

PaulH.