Re: Turbo or Not-turbo

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Turbo or Not-turbo
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:51:26 EST
In a message dated 04/11/2003 11:42:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> My take on turbocharging an MGB is that it is not as beneficial as
> supercharging for a street vehicle.  I think you'll find that most car
> manufacturers, from GM to Jaguar, will agree.  I own a turbocharged vehicle,
> and while I enjoy how it provides power, it is slightly peaky and has a bit
> of lag... but then again the engine does not have an antiquated 50 year old
> cylinder head design that the MGB has.

Being peaky and having a lag are really just design issues, not something
that is inherent to turbocharging. And the turbo would help to overcome the
sadly
deficient head design.

My question would be WHY?

If you are going to go non-stock to that degree, just bite the bullet and
install a nice little GM 60 degree V-6, a high tech Japanese 4 cylinder, or any
of a number of other options. You will probably get better results and won't
have a dated design with badly overstressed bottom end.

Bill
(Fiero 3.2 V-6, 300 bhp. 13.5 psi boost)