front cross member question

To: "Mg list \(E-mail\)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: front cross member question
From: "Jim Stuart" <vze3swyy@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 22:59:37 -0500
There are at least 4 different cross members used on the MGB, excluding any
"handing".

The very early cars had a cross member slightly narrower than the normal
chrome bumper cross member. The third development was the V8 cross member
which gave a ride height approx. 3/4" higher than the CB version. The last
version was the 1974 1/2 - 1981 rubber bumper cross member that raised ride
height an additional 3/4" over the V8 version. Various springs used also
affected the ride height, but that is a separate issue.

The NA version of the steering racks for V8's & rubber bumper cars appear to
be the same, but I am not sure the ratios are identical. I have not had the
opportunity to measure the steering shafts of these 2 racks, but the V8
shaft may be shorter.

As previously noted, the obvious difference between CB & RB cross members is
the addition of a sheet metal extension( height) at the point where the
cross member bolts to the body. As a side note, 2 of the cross member to
body bolts are longer on the RB cross member.

Jim Stuart

Reply to <jimbb88@usa.com>