fused headlamps

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: fused headlamps
From: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 16:09:43 -0600
I'm sure this subject has been beat to death but let me tell you story
about fusing headlights. One dark moonless night around 1972 I was
driving home from a date and my headlights started flickering and then
went out all together. I could smell something burning but I was
concentrating on seeing the road. I could see a light in the distance
and headed for it know it was close to the familiar highway. I felt my
tires fall off the shoulder as I reduced speed. The next thing I know I
was bouncing down the ditch. I hit a culvert on the edge of the
driveway where the light was and bounced out of the ditch and landed
hard with a smack right on the driveway.  Then the lights popped on. I
carefully headed home and discovered the next day the headlight wire
had rubbed through and shorted out. The wire had got so hot the melted
sheathing stuck to the edge of the frame and kept it shorted out. It
likely came loose when I landed on the driveway knocking the harness
loose from the frame and leaving a big dark spot of melted wire. The
wire melted through the harness from front to back of the car. Either
way, I lost the lights but a fuse would have saved the wiring harness.

I never did fuse the lights because I figure it won't happen again.

Mike
59 MGA, 50 MG TD