Brake pad question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake pad question
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:07:18 -0800 (PST)
I need a little help.  I'm replacing the front brake
pads in my 1971 MGB with "V8" pads purchased from
Brit-Tek.  It seems that when I push the pistons back
into the calipers, there still isn't enough room for
the new pads to fit in between the rotor and the
piston.

I have a tool specifically for pushing the piston back
in, and it seems to go back all the way in (because it
it moves pretty freely and then stops...) but I guess
I'm not 100% sure.  When it's pushed back into the
caliper, only about 1/8" of the piston is poking out -
should it be totally flush with the caliper?

It's like the new pads are too thick or something.  Is
that possible?  Or am I not getting the piston back
all the way in?  I've changed pads a hundred times in
my life on other cars, but this is the first time for
me on this one...

Thanks in advance,

=====
Paul Misencik