Re: Rear Leaf Springs - understeer geometry

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Leaf Springs - understeer geometry
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 15:56:55 -0800
I recently read an interesting article by Marc Sayer that explained
that with the rear shackle being higher than the front shackle, this
designs in rear axle roll-steer understeer. In other words, when the
car leans, the rear axle actually turns in such a way as to reduce the
steering, i.e. induce understeer, at least up to traction threshold.

This seems to jibe with my experiences with the car. Installing a rear
swaybar, really helped reduce understeer. As a matter of fact, in my
first fast track session after installing the hopkinson swaybar kit,
my driving techniques for an understeering MGB proved to be very far
from optimal in a neutral handling MGB. Let's just say that when I
pulled into the hotpits, they told me to go out there, grab a broom
and help clean up the dirt I'd left all over the track.

The correction for this would be to de-arch the springs and add longer
shackles to the rear so that the leaf spring in horizontal rather than
tilted towards the front of the car.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  It seems very reasonable
to me.

--
                   Girling is not a verb.