Re: Installing the heater

To: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Installing the heater
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 11:35:53 -0800
Paul,

  I have everything out as the whole car was stripped.  My heater went in
easily enough without the seals.  The seals I got from LBC Company in
Detroit and the one that goes around the fan hole was foam.  This is stuck
to the hole with contact glue as getting it right without it being held
seemed impossible.  The other seal was a thin rubber/vinyl one that went
between the body and heater box.  I stuck that in place with Dum-Dum which
has the added advantage of filling up the gaps between the faces.  I think
sticking the seals on before fitting is the way to go.  The box went in
before but would not when I attached the cable. It rubbed at the back - see
photo.  I assumed it would go in so I did not try.  Now I shall try
attaching the cable through the vent -   arrrrrhhhhh.  My 1970 shell seems
to have a bigger vent so maybe I can get my wife's to do it (dream on).

WAIT

HAve just had some more info come in - and damn it they seem to have had no
trouble with it!!  I have an idea that maybe the cable lever has to be in a
certain position to go in - either fully open or fully
closed.................will try that !!

COPY OF RECENT EMAIL FROM MIKE WINNEY

Hi Barrie,
First, there should be a secret handshake for those unfortunate few who have
had to R &R an MG heater box!
I now wish I had taken a photo of what I did, but basically I could see
where the cable was binding as you have.  You can eyeball or measure if you
want, but the main thing is that when the box is installed the slot you
grind is vertically in line with the cable lever when attached to the flap.
In other words, you don't want the slot to veer off one side or the other
because the whole purpose of the slot is to be able to accommodate the cable
without bending it as the box is lowered.
                                                  I  Slot  in line with cable
as attached to flap
                                          ____I____________
                                          I      O   OO               I
                                                  I Flap lever

With the heater box resting on the valve cover/bulkhead, you can reach in
behind the box and feed the cable into the hole/shot.  From there it goes
through the small hole you marked.  As I recall I don't believe it comes in
through the rectangle hole, but rather feeds up and over to the control .

Looks like you're doing a beautiful restoration!
Hope this helps,
Mike

At 05:49 PM 11/8/2003 -0500, ptegler@cablespeed wrote:
>....maybe I missed something here but I just went
>through that myself.  Noone seemed to want to chime
>in with any helpful hints.
>
>Maybe it was just me, but I couldn't even get the heat box
>down into position with or without the cable attached.
>
>The new seal sent to me by the usual 'catalog' company was a big
>chunk of rubber like material rather than foam. A REAL bitch
>to compress  to get down into the cavity. Especially the way
>it fit around the flapper cable mount and lever.  I had to back
>out the two air tubes in the bulkhead.. and literally stomp
>on the air box with my foot (bonnet removed) to get the
>box down into place. (obviously distorting/bending  the outer
>cable jacket in the process
>
>Before stomping on it... to get the cable attached...
>the cable was passed through the big seal....  I attached the
>inner cable to the flapper before attaching the cable
>casing.  Then slid the seal up in place, put the box in the hole
>...got up on the fender and three stomps of my foot to get the damn
>thing down into place.
>
>In retrospect... I see now they expect you to reach up through the
>footwell vent on the passenger side.... slide the cable through
>the bulk head and attach the screws/clamps. Yeaha right!
>who has hands that small other than a new born infant!
>
>I think rebuilding my tranny was easier.  I've still never pulled
>the radio box, and flex air tubes, to fix the through-bulkhead
>air tubes back into place.  screw it.
>
>Paul Tegler
>ptegler@cablespeed.com
>www.teglerizer.com

Regards
Barrie

Barrie Robinson
barrier@bconnex.net

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
heater hole.jpg"; x-mac-type="4A504547"; x-mac-creator="4A565752]