Moss Motors Rear Shock Kit

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Moss Motors Rear Shock Kit
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:56:37 -0800
Brethren:

This is kind of an after the fact set the record straight e-mail, so that MG
hood knows that once in a while we get together and try to change something for
the better.  I hope you don't mind this ramble, it's not really intended as
promotional verbiage.

We noticed a rash of complaints about the Moss Motors tube shock kits a little
while ago.  Now personally I've thought the Monroe shocks included in the kit
always made the car ride like a farm wagon so complaints of too harsh of a ride
were kinda swept aside for a short while.  Anyway, we had a lift and a spare
MGB lying around so we went ahead and installed a set off the shelf just to see
how the car really handled in an A-B comparison with good OE shocks.  My what a
pickle jar we opened.

After lots of checking and phone calls, it looks like Monroe changed the design
of the shocks and did not bother to tell us.  The supplied shock is stiffer
than.. well I won't go into similes.  Needless to say, we tried the front kit
on the car and found out that the newly supplied shock would not even fit with
our bracket set.  The body was much bigger than before and hit the A arm, so
that kit had to be scuppered for the moment.  So here we are with the MGB up on
the lift and after some head scratching and internet surfing, we came up with a
different shock which after some modifications (with an electric drill) got
duly bolted on.  After a few hundred miles of smiles from the hardy Harry
Haigh, the shock was given the departmental blessing and is now available under
a new number that will be in the next catalog update.  Harry is very happy with
the change from good condition OE shocks, cause his behind is somewhat
un-padded.  The ride is softer than stock, but with a bit more control.