Re: Moss Motors Rear Shock Kit

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Moss Motors Rear Shock Kit
From: "Tom Wagner" <tomwagner@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:07:53 -0600
To All:

This is what I call a supplier who is
looking out for all of us.

You do not get this kind of support
out of our friends in Kansas.

Thanks Kelvin for the update.

Tom Wagner
67 MGB
72 TR 6

Brethren:

This is kind of an after the fact set the record straight e-mail, so that MG
hood knows that once in a while we get together and try to change something
for the better.  I hope you don't mind this ramble, it's not really intended
as promotional verbiage.

We noticed a rash of complaints about the Moss Motors tube shock kits a
little while ago.  Now personally I've thought the Monroe shocks included in
the kit always made the car ride like a farm wagon so complaints of too
harsh of a ride were kinda swept aside for a short while.  Anyway, we had a
lift and a spare MGB lying around so we went ahead and installed a set off
the shelf just to see how the car really handled in an A-B comparison with
good OE shocks.  My what a pickle jar we opened.

After lots of checking and phone calls, it looks like Monroe changed the
design of the shocks and did not bother to tell us.  The supplied shock is
stiffer than.. well I won't go into similes.  Needless to say, we tried the
front kit on the car and found out that the newly supplied shock would not
even fit with our bracket set.  The body was much bigger than before and hit
the A arm, so that kit had to be scuppered for the moment.  So here we are
with the MGB up on the lift and after some head scratching and internet
surfing, we came up with a different shock which after some modifications
(with an electric drill) got duly bolted on.  After a few hundred miles of
smiles from the hardy Harry Haigh, the shock was given the departmental
blessing and is now available under a new number that will be in the next
catalog update.  Harry is very happy with the change from good condition OE
shocks, cause his behind is somewhat un-padded.  The ride is softer than
stock, but with a bit !
more control.