Re: Rear Shock Kit

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Shock Kit
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:41:12 -0800
On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 04:03:14PM -0800, Dodd, Kelvin wrote:
> Larry:
>

> For the type of driving and experimenting you are doing I strongly
> suggest going with an adjustable shock unit.

Thanks for the advice.  Can you refresh my memory as to which of the
units are adjustable?  I believe that you sell a spax unit which is.

> The bracket sets are all pretty interchangable, with similar
> mounting styles.  I am not in favor of mounting the shock through
> one of the original shock mounting holes as suggested by some web
> sites.  I prefer a seperate mount bolted to the chassis with both
> original shock bolts.  I made up my first set with a pair of steel
> plates with Ford shock mounting bolts welded to them.  This gave a
> proper shock mounting surface, rather than a bolt shank.

My gut agrees with your preferences.

> Moss does have some of the Ron Hopkinson designed Bilstein rear
> shock kits, which I havn't had a chance to try yet.  For street I
> think they are going to be nice, but for your use, again I would
> stress that the adjustable shocks are the way to go, since rear
> damping is very critical.

Thanks.  Are the shocks in you coil-over kit adjustable? The sale on
your coil-over kit (actually on all large purchases) is driving my
impending order.

--
                   Girling is not a verb.