Re:Begging for MGA gearbox photos

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Begging for MGA gearbox photos
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:03:24 -0600
At 06:08 PM 11/16/03 -0500, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
>Allow me to offer some additional data.
>
>MGA 1500 early length (between joint centres) 31 3/8", overall 38 13/32"
>(that includes the external extended tube, and is probably for the second
>version of the driveshaft,

Yup.  Got that on the page already.

>but the first was undoubtely the same, dimensionally).

Nope.  The earlier propshaft was about 3/4" shorter, as the earlier gerabox
has a longer tail.  That's on the page also.

>MGA 1500 15GD  32 11/16" extended, 31 3/4" compressed

Thanks.  I'll put that tidbit on the web page.

Question.  Whas means "extended"?  I thought the front yoke could be pulled
completely off the spline with no physical stop in that direction.  Does
"Extended" mean the normal installed working length?  If so, that makes
sense, having about 1" of available travel before solid compression.  I
would guess the intended nominal working range of the sliding spline should
be about +/- 1" from the nominal length.

>MGA 1600 all - same

Yup.  All the same part number

>MGB 3-main non OD  30 3/4" extended
>
>MGB 3-main OD  31 7/8"  extended

Again, are these nominal installed working length?

This looks like the MGA propshaft is longer than any of the MGB parts,
which would answer a question that came up a couple days ago.  You can't
use any MGB propshaft in the MGA, because they're all too short.

Thanks much,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com