RE: Begging for MGA gearbox photos

To: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Begging for MGA gearbox photos
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:14:29 -0600
At 01:17 PM 11/15/03 -0600, Lew Palmer wrote:
>Understanding that this is a published photo and possibly protected by
>copyrights, there is just such a picture on page 68 of "Original MGA".

I have the book.
I know what they look like.
I wouldn't want to infringe (much).
Couldn't get a good scan image from a pixelated print picture.
Would like to get the right side of each gearbox as individual pictures.

And, .... "Original MGA" completely missed the first in the series of five
gearboxes, ignoring the first 16 months of production.  At the point of
first change in propshaft and gearbox style, all that book lists is "dust
cover added at front" Sep 56.  The earlier unit did have a dust cover, just
a different style, along with the shaft being different length and having a
different spline.

I find this particular point to be rather important.  The early 1500
propshaft will not fit the mid 1500 gearbox.  The mid 1500 propshaft can be
erroneously installed with the early 1500 gearbox, and it may actually work
for a while, but will eventually result in the destruction of the propshaft
and the gearbox rear housing (been there).  Just one of the points I'd like
to document.

I would also like to know the length of the later 2-piece MGA
propshaft.  It has exactly the same end fittings as all 3 of the MGB
propshafts, but must be a different length.  Moss does not list a propshaft
for the MGA.  V.B. lists the late MGA double flanged propshaft with
a  different part number than the MGB units.

Barney