MGA VIN question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA VIN question
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 05:12:01 -0800 (PST)
Does anyone know of a good way to look up MGA VIN
and/or engine numbers?  I have an MGA VIN and engine
number, and I need to know what year the car is, etc.
Also, what do the prefix letters on the MGA VIN #s
mean?

The VIN of this car is GHNL/82671 and I think that
makes it either a 1960 or 1961, but I can't tell for
sure...

The engine number is 16GA-U-13896 (There might be a
letter or number after the "U", but it was impossible
to read.)

Google turned up a couple sources, but nothing that
was definitive.

Thanks in advance,

=====
Paul Misencik