Re: Nyloc Nuts

To: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nyloc Nuts
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:11:11 US/Mountain
> Phil Bates SEZ -
> > In Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts, Fastners and Plumbing Handbook - pg
104:

> >          Nylon collar elastic stop nuts cannot harm the bolt threads,
> >     are reusable many times and are also available as castellaed nuts.
>
> I'm surprised that they say that the Nylon insert is compressed, not
> deformed, and that the nuts are reusable.  In my experience, neither of
> these statements are correct.

Actually, you're right, and I need to issue a retraction.

What I sent to the list is what Carroll Smith has in his book.  After
having sent that message, however, I saw a picture of what Carroll Smith
classified as "nylon collar elastic stop nuts".  I don't think it is the
same thing as the "nyloc nuts" that we are all real familiar with.

The picture for "nylon collar elastic stop nuts" showed a nylon collar
that protrudes just out of the nut.  The nylon side is the side of the nut
that goes against a surface being tightend against. When the nut is tight
the nylon hits the surface, it is pinched around the bolt threads.  A cut-
away picture would show the flat surface with the threads (from a bolt or
stud) protruding from it (say flat surface left, threads to the right) and
the compressed nylon would be the furthest left of the nut, bottomed out
against the surface, and the threaded part of the nut to the right of the
nylon.

Nyloc nuts are typically used the opposite direction - where the threaded
section touches the flat surface being held against, and the nylon is on
the free thread side of the bolt or stud.

Have I totally confused people??

Sorry about that.

Phil
Bates