Re: 77B won't start

To: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 77B won't start
From: Tom McLaughlin <tmcl98@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 14:01:17 -0800 (PST)
All,
Still stuck.  While working on this I found that the
hose below the choke was leaking so I had to replace
that.  Also, while looking at the no start problem, I
saw that the throttle cable was adjusted incorrectly
and did not allow full movement of the throttle when
you pressed on the gas.  Perhaps the choke was not
engaging at all???  Here are the symptoms and what I
have tried:

* Car ran fine, I brought it to a mechanic to have the
gasket between the cat conv and the exaust manifold
replaced (and have it inspected).  Car ran fine 2
times after than and now I can't get it to start.  I
think they screwed up the cable adjustment...did they
have to take the carb off to replace the gasket???

* First thing I noticed is that when you turn the key,
the fuel pump just keeps clicking and clicking.  It
used to pressurize and then slow or stop all together
from what I remember.

* I broke the fuel line on the carb side of the fuel
filter.  Fuel pump pumps fine.  I plugged this end and
when you turn the key, it just keeps clicking and
clicking.  I really don't think it did this before.

* I checked for spark (only at one plug) and it is
sparking fine.

* At one point, while messing with the choke, the carb
mixture and having my wife crank, I got the car to
start, but it ran horribly.  I probably have screwed
up the mixture at this point.

* The markings on the existing fuel pump are:
AC Spark Plug
EP12S
6442340
12V
Made In USA

* This pump has been on the car for the 7 years I have
owned it.

I know I haven't done everything people have
suggested.  What should I do next???

Tom
77B, ZS carb

--- "Telewest (PH)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>