Re: Motor Preservation

To: John <John@all-the-facts.com>
Subject: Re: Motor Preservation
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:33:49 -0600
John:

I've thought about this also as I am considereing building up a spare MG
engine.

My brother said that when he was in Nam, the his aircraft engines came
"canned."  They were in a sealed container which had the air evacuated
and replaced with nitrogen.  I've thought about sealing the engine in a
heavy plastice bag to which a large quantity of descecant bags have been
added.

In regards to preparation, if the engine still runs, pressure clean it
thoroughly, change the oil, and run the engine before removal.

After removal, I'd still leave the new oil in the engine and a starter
on the engine.  Once a year I'd remove the plugs, and valve cover, and
add 1 ounce of oil to the cylinders through the plug holes.  I would
then crank the engine with the starter using a booster battery until oil
started dripping from the valve area.  Add a dab more oil to the plug
holes, rotate the crankshaft a few times using a starter handle, or
wrench and hand screw the plugs back in.

Always do the job on an anniversary date, "Drive Your MG Day", for
example so you never forget.  About every five years, it might be
advisable to drain out the old oil and add new and perhaps a new filter
too.

Blake