Re: Motor Preservation

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Motor Preservation
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:50:36 -0800
I think this was very good advice in general, but changing the oil and
filter after what, 5 minutes of cranking over 5 years? That seems a little
(well, a lot) like overkill.

Even if the oil is breaking down after this time, it's not like you're
actually firing the engine, so there's no stress on the bearings, and there
shouldn't be any appreciable wear. The oil hasn't circulated enough to get
loaded with contaminants, and there's no combustion blow-by, anyway.

There also shouldn't be any appreciable moisture contamination, since you
haven't had any heating/cooling cycles.

Personally, I would think turning it over by hand once a year is probably
sufficient. In a moderately dry climate, it could probably just sit in the
corner of the garage for ten years gathering dust without harm.

For an extreme case, my father recently fired up a a 1955 Imperial that had
been parked in a garage in Portland, Oregon, since 1974. That's close to 30
years sitting in a damp climate without any storage precautions. So I
wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's those engines left outside under a tarp that become boat anchors.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149