Re: Unsafe at any speed was: MG's and Skis

To: pulcher@killercomputing.com
Subject: Re: Unsafe at any speed was: MG's and Skis
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:16:43 -0500
Harold,
  You're quite right about the incongruities of this safety debate.  In
the early 1950s, Nash installed seatbelts. For a few weeks.  Competitors
put out the word that Nash needed to have them, as the cars were unsafe.
Nash discontinued the belts.
   What Nash did not discontinue was the fold-down seatbacks for the
front seat. That increased risk to the public in other ways  When I was
in high school, our local drive-in theatre would not admit Nash or
sucessor Ramblers, thanks to their reputations as conspirators in the
decline of morality or something.  As the theatre people probably did not
know about the same feature in Peugeots, a friend who owned a 403 rented
it out on weekends, $5.00, clean the car, return with full tank of fuel.
   History does not happen smoothly. We lurch along the way.
Bob