Re: Speedometer Repair

To: "John" <John@all-the-facts.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speedometer Repair
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:40:57 -0700
Three possibilities come to mind, from my own personal experience -

1. The inner drive cable is broke - this can happen if there is too sharp
of a bend in the cable somewhere between the two right angle connectors
(one on the speedo, one on the tranny).

2. The inner drive cable is worn, rounded on the square end that fits in
the right angle drive.

3. Right angle drive on tranny is bad.

First, I usually detach the cable from the speedometer and then take the
car for a drive. If the cable does not turn or stops turning when I grab
the protruding square end (while driving), I remove the cable from the
tranny right angle drive. Then pull the inner cable out and make sure its
in one piece. If it is, remove the right angle drive from the tranny - make
sure the male end is attached and turns. If both check out as it did for me
once, inspect the speedo cable ends. In one case, I noticed the square end
was just barely rounded enough that it must have been slipping. But thats
probably a rare problem. If your right angle drive is bad, you can bypass
it by using an od speedo cable (slightly longer) going direct into the
transmission or you can get the right angle drive repaired, Mo-Ma in
Albuquerque is one place that does it.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B